Thursday, September 30, 2010

In the spirit of trying new things (or mainly retrying old ones)

This week has been a bit more eventful than past weeks. At the urging of a friend, I tried out a rock climbing Meetup group that meets every week for a couple hours of climbing followed by dinner. I went more for the socializing aspect, though I have had some limited experience with rock climbing if climbing in the Alps 12 years ago counts! The meetup was fun, there were lots of nice people and I even went to the dinner afterwards for a little while. Halfway up my first climb of the evening I suddenly recalled that I am actually afraid of heights, which is why there are a number of things that still need to be put in my attic, except that they never manage to get up there because I'm not comfortable going up the ladder. I managed to overcome that fear and climbed a total of about 4 or 5 different easy-level routs, and even tried one the next level up. I think I could have done it, but ran out of steam 3/4 of the way up when I couldn't figure out where to move next. I also should rent the climbing shoes next time instead of trying to climb in tennis shoes, though I think I did alright for the first time in 12 years!

Tonight I went to a Bible study group that is dealing on the topic of friendship and relationships, an issue that has been on my mind a lot lately. I've mostly avoided churches for well over the last decade, but somehow I feel there is a lot that I need to learn and hear. After going to church with my parents last Sunday I decided to give the Thursday night Bible study a shot. Nice people and definitely a good topic. Definitely a lot of food for thought. I won't be able to go next week since I'll be in the mountains, but do think I'll go back.

I was also doing some decluttering today and pulled out my flute that I've had since middle school, but have only rarely played since. While living in Berlin I had it completely serviced by a master Japanese flutist, who happened to have his shop just around the block from me. I found some of my beginner band books and played a little bit on my flute this evening - I haven't completely forgotten everything, just need a refreshed. I found some of my first band books, pulled them out, reviewed notes and played for a little while. There's just one music book I know is around here somewhere but can't seem to find. My flute may be old and only of the "school quality" variety, but it's a shame to have it hidden away not being played. I think it may need to become something I do more regularly. I always enjoyed playing the flute but when I started high school I had to make a choice between the flute and a foreign language. I chose German, which has since given me so many opportunities including my career. Sadly I didn't keep up the music, but it's never too late to start again.

Here's to trying more new things and getting back into the things I enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Cool beans, I like this post! Let's see some more happy Sarah! Lindsey needs to see her Aunt Sarah soon.

    ReplyDelete