Monday, September 13, 2010

A slight change

The Timer
As you'll notice, I've made a slight change to the blog and am now calling it "The 15 Minute Writer" as I think I may end up writing more than 15 minutes a day, but do intend to write in 15 minute increments (with my handy timer as my helper). The thought came to me on my morning walk with my "Canine Kinder", previously referred to as my alarm clocks, after our morning nap. This morning's nap would have been a bit more restful initially if the windows hadn't have been open, but as they were, every sound from outside set them into a barking fit such that it was necessary to shut the windows.

Now that fall can be felt in the breeze, it's nice to have the windows open to herald in the change of season. My German friends may find it shocking that I actually want to have my windows open. Those who remember me from the SPE school at Siemens will recall my fierce objection to opening the windows in the middle of winter - but mind you it was below freezing! Germans and their "lüften" (ventilating) - a lovely cultural difference.

I actually love having the windows open in the early spring and fall when that nice cool morning and evening breeze provide natural ventilation in the house. I'm not much for air conditioning anyway - my programmable thermostat is usually set to 80 F (27 C) with the overhead fans running. I just wish there were some way to store the heat for the winter so that my house could be that comfortable then. Instead, my energy-efficient setting on my thermostat is set to 68-70 F (20-21 C), which requires wearing multiple layers, drinking lots of hot tea and traipsing around the house carrying a hot water bottle. The 68 F setting during the day is intended for people who aren't at home during the day, but since I work from home, I just make the best of it. Thankfully living in a 100 year old apartment in Berlin with 14 foot ceilings and old drafty windows during a record cold winter in which the temperature in the apartment never got above 68-69 F (20 C) - despite having the radiators set to the highest setting - ideally prepared me to save money on my heating bill. Of course I could make my house much warmer, but I prefer to save the money.

Now it's time for breakfast (yesterday's leftover pancakes), then lots of work to do for a midnight deadline.

No comments:

Post a Comment