Thursday, September 16, 2010

Blueberry what??

If you're not from the South, you may not have ever heard of grits - which is essentially boiled white cornmeal, similar to its Italian cousin polenta, which is made with yellow cornmeal. In the South, grits are usually served for breakfast with salt and pepper, though there are other savory varieties such as cheese grits. In the low country specialty, grits have made their way up to a dinner entree as the famous shrimp and grits served in any number of delicious ways. However, because grits are generally a savory dish, you've probably never even heard of much less had the pleasure to try blueberry grits, which is why I've decided to share my creation with you.

As a child (and even now), I was always a fan of sweet, hot breakfast cereals. I loved cream of wheat, cream of rice and oatmeal - always sweetened with brown sugar. When I would visit my grandparents and my grandmother would make grits, I just assumed they were similar to oatmeal even though they were generally served on a plate instead of a bowl, and asked for brown sugar to sweeten them up. Any true Southerner would frown upon such a defilement of grits, but my grandmother didn't seem to mind. I've been eating sweet grits ever since.

Today's breakfast is a variation on my sweet grits - adding ground flax seeds and blueberries for an antioxidant, omega-3 packed hot breakfast cereal. It's perfect for people who have a wheat or gluten intolerance (which for those with a severe intolerance even means omitting oatmeal). They're extremely simple to make and you're sure to love them! Enjoy!



The basic ingredients

Frozen blueberries that I picked this summer at Creekside Farm



For one serving, put 3 tablespoons of grits in a saucepan

Add 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds (for Omega 3s).
Add a dash of salt.


Add 1 cup of water

Bring to a boil

Stir as it thickens to prevent lumps

Add blueberries (fresh or frozen)
Stir in the blueberries
Stir as it continues to bubble
Grits will thicken up within 5 minutes and blueberries will begin
to pop, releasing dark purple blueberry juices

Put in bowl and top with a slice of butter and a tablespoon of brown sugar. Stir to blend flavors and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment