Friday, September 24, 2010

Hello Mr. Toad!

In seeking solitude from September's still scorching summery heat, a rather sizable toad has taken up residence in a shady spot in my pot of curly mint. I was out with the dogs and saw something resting in the plant. It looked like a big rock, but when I looked closer I saw that it was indeed a toad sitting as calmly as can be. The soil in this particular pot always seems to stay moist, making for a perfect place to retreat from a 90 degree summer-like second day of fall. I thought he might enjoy a little shower, so I took the watering can and watered the lemon and mammoth basil beside it, then sprinkled a  few drops on him. He did NOT like it! Out he jumped into the pine straw, but seemed uncertain of what to do next. I gently picked him back up and put him back in the mint pot since he had seemed so content resting there. I went inside to grab the camera and snapped a few shots. Seems he doesn't mind being a model. I wonder how long he's planning to stay around. For all I know as I write this he could be already gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment