Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Dating Feedback (1)

In dating there should be some sort of feedback card so that you know what went well and what could be improved upon for future reference. Instead we are most often left guessing why we never heard from a person again, even when you seem to think the date went well. Recently I had one date where the guy is probably still wondering what went wrong. He was a German guy I had met at a German restaurant where I watched every single Germany match in the World Cup this summer (I'm a huge German soccer fan). After seeing him a few times, he asked for my number and e-mail. The few times that I had spoken with him gave me no reason to have any problem agreeing to go out with him on a date. I wasn't sure that I could be physically attracted to him, but he seemed nice and easy to talk to. Eventually he e-mailed me and asked me out to dinner. The restaurant and food were excellent, the conversation was great and entirely in German, and the Swedish bluegrass band we went to see after dinner was fantastic. So why is this guy never hearing from me again?

Because I have unwavering principles and standards when it comes to personal hygiene. This guy, who by his own account makes a very good manager's salary at a large telecommunications company and who lives only 5 minutes from his office, knew that he was going on a date 7 hours prior to actually meeting me and had made a reservation at a very nice restaurant that he had suggested. He had ample amount of time to dress appropriately and get ready, yet when I met him he was wearing jeans and a runner's T-shirt and stunk profusely of body odor. There was no discernible sign that he had even taken a shower that day and smelled like he had run a marathon and forgotten to shower both before and after. From that very moment I knew it was going to be a long night. Every time he moved I got a waft of BO streaming to my nostrils - enough to make me nearly want to gag over the $100 dinner. There are certain things that I can put up with, but BO is not one of them. For someone who had been living in the US for over 11 years, the basic fact that deodorant is part of the daily routine should have become long ingrained into his habits, but apparently it had not. What kind of a guy goes out on a first date smelling like a nasty armpit? Apparently a man of the "over 37 never been married" variety. This was yet another example that seemed to solidify my theory that men over 37 who have never been married are - of course with some exceptions - left over for a reason. His reason could be smelled all over, yet I thought it was too embarrassing to actually tell him. When he e-mailed saying he had a great time and would love to hang out again sometime, I simply didn't respond. I probably should have written back: No Bow Chicka Wow Wow for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment