Saturday, September 18, 2010

Getting back to normal

Of course, Jewel's favorite car was the one with the
drive-in attachment! Shown with my mom.
It's been an exhausting past couple of days thanks to Jewel's little ordeal. I stayed at my parents' house until this morning, when I decided to come back home and get on with things. However, once I got home and saw my vitamins on the counter, I realized that something else had been in that bag of pills that Jewel had eaten. It wasn't just Omega 3-6-9 and L-Carnitine, there had also been 4x 100 mg 5-HTP pills. I immediately googled 5-HTP and dogs and found this: 5-HTP Toxicosis in Dogs. That was what was responsible for the neurological problems and temporary blindness. 400 mg was half the minimum fatal dose for a dog of her size. I called animal poison control to update the case as well as the vet to let them know in case there was anything else that needed to be done. They said that since she was doing better to just keep an eye on her, but not to worry. She's one lucky dog. Thanks to everyone who had her in their thoughts and was praying for her. Today she was 100% back to herself so my mom and I took both dogs to the Harvest Festival in my little town where we strolled around the farmers' market and looked at the antique cars. I took lots of pictures of the cars for my best twin friends in Berlin, who are both fantastic photographers and avid fans of old cars.

Baby spinach salad with sauteed shiitake mushrooms,
onion and cherry tomatoes, local cucumbers, NC mountain
apple (super sweet), raisins, pecans,
truffle Crema di Balsamico and olive oil.
Jewel woke me up at 2 AM last night to go outside and I never really managed to get a good night's rest after that. Needless to say I've been tired today. Took a 2 hour nap around 5, then made Watermelon Salsa (will post separately) and a delicious salad featuring fresh apples and shiitake mushrooms for dinner. I have a good bit of work left to do this weekend, but think I'll be going to bed early tonight. The dogs have already plopped down in their beds since the Harvest Festival wore them out. They got plenty of attention with lots of people wanting to pet them. I can't even count how many times I heard people of all ages say "Ohhhhh cute, wiener dogs!" They definitely always prove to be the best little attention magnets (except when barking at other dogs!). Bedtime is calling! Goodnight!


No comments:

Post a Comment