Friday, October 15, 2010

Honey Balsamic Vinegarette (and some doting on my food processor)

There are some recipes that make it absolutely worth owning your food processor. As you have seen in previous recipes, I use if whenever I get a chance. I use mine several times a week and consider it one of the most valuable appliances in my kitchen - I loved it so much I brought it back with me from Germany since they no longer sold the same model in the US at the time. I was lucky enough to find a second used one on Ebay for my mom's house so that I can use it when I cook there and have spare parts in case I ever need them. Apparently they are now selling them in the US: my model can be found here: Braun Food Processor (Double). The single version is here: Braun Food Processor (Single). This is one food processor I would never want to live without! It is so much nicer and easier to use than a Cuisinart - you may disagree at first, but that's just because you haven't tried it yet! Regardless of which brand you have, it is highly recommended that you have a food processor if you want to make this salad dressing. I also use it when making homemade mayonnaise (recipe to come another time).


Now on to the recipe. I found this recipe (in just written form) on the Internet somewhere well over 3 years ago and have been making it ever since. My secret tips for making it as delicious as possible are to use local honey and organic chili powder. I once made it with non-organic chili powder and the extra preservatives and salt in the mix really messed up the flavor. Make sure that whatever chili powder you choose only has natural ingredients and contains no preservatives or salt. Simply Organic has a great chili powder that I have used for a while until recently running out. This time I used Earth Fare's organic chili powder which had the same ingredients as Simply Organic.

The ingredients: local honey, balsamic vinegar, Dijon
mustard, mayonnaise, chili powder, oil, salt and pepper

Measure out a little over 1/4 c.
of balsamic vinegar.

Add a little over 1/4 c. of honey.

Pour into food processor.

Add a little under 2 TBS of Dijon mustard.
 
Measure out a little over 1/4 c.
of mayonnaise.

Add about 1 TBS of chili powder

Blend together


Measure out a little over 3/4 c. of vegetable oil.
Canola oil works well and contains importantomega-3 and -6 fatty acids.

Slowly add oil to mixture while blending at a low-medium
speed.

Keep blending. The dressing will start to thicken
up and become creamy. If you want a
thicker dip, add more mayo and less oil.


Perfect dressing consistency.

Put in a jar (this recipe makes about 16 oz.)
Serve over a delicious salad - here's one I made this past spring.
It is also delicious on baked potatoes, as a dip for veggies,
and many other uses!

No comments:

Post a Comment