Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Brrrrr!

It's early October and while the daytime temps are in the 60s to low 70s, at night it gets down into the 50s and I start to get the chills. After enjoying the fresh air by leaving my windows open for the past couple of days, the pleasant summer indoor temperature of around 80 degrees was quickly replaced by my winter "heat" setting (the highest I set my energy-saving thermostat, which is currently off) of 70 (20 C). This is the temperature at which I start wearing lots of layers, a warm wool hat indoors, knee-high socks, and constantly carry around a hot water bottle and drink cup after cup of hot tea. For me it already feels like winter has arrived. The warmest spot in the house is again under my down duvet. For this coming cold season, I did, however, finally schedule to get my gas logs hooked up, which should happen within the next couple of weeks. After freezing for most of last winter trying to be energy efficient at settings most people might feel comfortable with, this year the gas logs are an absolute necessity. I feel most comfortable at temperatures in the 80s and have even been "diagnosed" with cold intolerance. That was the whole reason I went to the doctor in the first place - who knew it would actually be the diagnosis. I could never understand how in the middle of winter Germans would fling open all the windows for some fresh winter air - they told me to just do knee squats to get my circulation going. It worked only marginally. I like fresh air, but I much prefer being warm. Speaking of warm - my electric kettle just clicked off to let me know the water for my hot water bottle is ready. Next up, a pot of hot tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment