Thursday, October 28, 2010

Greetings from the ATA in Denver

Since my last post, I've been extremely busy with work in preparation to be where I am now: at the ATA (American Translators Association) Conference in Denver. I got into Denver Tuesday afternoon and have been going non-stop ever since. Despite thinking that I had packed correctly, I arrived and after being hit by chilly winds realized that I had, in fact, neglected to bring a warm coat. Thankfully a TJmaxx is just across the street from the hotel, so I rushed over there ASAP and found a nice Columbia jacket for half price. I also picked up a couple more long sleeve shirts, since one of the ones I got at Old Navy last week proved to have a hole in the side when I got ready to put it on.

Yesterday I attended two pre-conference sessions that gave me excellent information on how to better run my business and what I have been doing "sub-optimally". The biggest "mistake" is definitely that I have been pricing myself too low and that will have to change ASAP. I also need to reach out and try to find more direct clients to make myself less dependent on agencies. I've got lots of new ideas and a lot of work ahead of me - but I am certain that I can do it. I hope to make lots of valuable contacts over the next few days to help me grow my business. Last night was the welcome reception, followed by the German Language Division open house (I got to wear my Dirndl :-) ). Today I have a few sessions with a speed networking session tonight.

If I have time I'll post more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment