Monday, November 29, 2010

Post-Thanksgiving thoughts

Me and the pumpkin pie.
Me and the turkey I made.
My Mary Engelbreit tree.
Hard to believe it's actually been 10 days since the last post. But then again, the time has also flown by. This is the time of year when I get slammed with one of my quarterly projects - translating a magazine on home décor and Oriental rugs. I don't remember November ever being this busy before though. Since my last post on Nov. 19th, the rugs have literally been rolling in. I've translated well over 2000 lines of rug texts alone (as well as a few other texts here and there) and I even managed to take off last Thursday for Thanksgiving and most of Friday, except for yet another rug text that had to be turned in by 11 a.m. I had 400 more "tufted" lines this past weekend, but it seems that with a little over 300 lines left to go, the end is slowly drawing near (at least until next quarter). It seems I'm becoming an expert in the floor covering industry - at least in terms of marketing texts. I've been regularly translating articles for the magazine (and often the entire magazine) since 2007. In the midst of all the rug commotion, I somehow managed to find time to meet up with a friend from college who stopped by last Wednesday, have a relaxing Thanksgiving (which included spending plenty of time behind the stove!), figure skate, exercise for at least 30 minutes every day except Sunday, read, watch most of "Pillars of the Earth" series with my mom (read the book in 2003/2004), help my mom decorate their tree, and put up my little Mary Engelbreit tree. The Thanksgiving cooking was divided up equally between me and my mom - I made the turkey, stuffing, gravy, pumpkin pies (with homemade French pastry crust), and cranberry sauce; my mom made the sweet potato casserole, green beans, and corn pudding - my stepfather made his famous creamed potatoes. Somehow we actually managed to finish off all the leftovers by Saturday without throwing anything away. For those of you who are wondering, I made a few little dietary exceptions for my favorite holiday, but am back to my regular diet once again.

Today's agenda features translating some more rug texts, proofing, figure skating this afternoon, and hopefully finishing up my article for the GLD newsletter Interaktiv. Knowing how I love working under tight deadlines, I have a strange feeling it might not be done until tomorrow since the deadline is Dec. 1. Time to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment