Wednesday, May 11, 2011

An awkward encounter

Before having my gallbladder removed in March, I had been going rock climbing with my friend Andrew almost every Tuesday since last November. It had been nearly three months since my last climb. Since next week I start taking a writing class on Tuesday nights, I decided to go climbing again with Andrew last night. It had also been nearly three months since I had last seen the guy (J.) I had been dating in December/January. Rock climbing had actually been one of the things we used to do together. When he found out that I went regularly, he wanted to join me. I wouldn't say that things between us ended on bad terms - he had even wanted to try to stay friends, but I really wasn't ready for that when he suggested it. Nevertheless, I certainly thought it would be possible to be amicable to one another should we ever run into each other again. Apparently he saw that differently - or maybe it was yet another misunderstanding. At any rate, J. happened to be at rock climbing last night with one of his friends who also used to go when we went together. In the nearly 2 hours that we were there - at times standing just a couple feet away from each other - he not once said anything to me or even acknowledged my existence. Maybe the situation was too awkward - after all, I never attempted to say anything to him either. But then again, I really didn't think it was my place to be the one to speak first. I somehow thought he would have the decency and common courtesy to at least say, "Hello, hope you're well." I guess not.

No comments:

Post a Comment